Triumph Spitfire, 1962-1980
Triumph produced the fun and affordable Spitfire for 18 years, during which time over 314,000 were built. Launched in October 1962, the Spitfire featured sleek styling by famed Italian designer Giovanni Michelotti. The car was an instant hit.
A 1970 design "facelift" by Michelotti freshened the car's look for the new decade, and accompanying chassis and suspension tweaks improved handling. A larger 1500cc engine followed shortly thereafter.
Spitfire production ended in August 1980 as the car fell victim to short-sighted management at British Leyland, U.S. safety and emissions regulations, and an unfavorable dollar/pound exchange rate.
Further information about the Spitfire includes:
- Spitfire History (A brief production history of the Spitfire.)
- Spitfire Advertising (A chronology of 18 years of Spitfire advertising.)
- Spitfire Production dates and numbers.
- Spitfire Buyer's Guide. (What to look for when buying, ranges of price, parts availability, etc.)
- Spitfire Owners WWW Pages
- Spitfire Pictures Archive
- Picture Book of Spitfire Carburetors -- lots of pictures of Spitfire carbs